Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southern Queens
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:18 AM EDT on September 04, 2015
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on September 04, 2015
... High rip current risk remains in effect from 2 PM EDT this
afternoon through this evening...
* locations... Atlantic Ocean beaches.
* Rip current risk... high.
* Surf height... 3 to 4 ft.
* Lightning risk... low for New York City... Nassau County... and
southwest Suffolk County beaches. None for southeast Suffolk
* Timing... this afternoon and evening.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Talk to lifeguards and beach officials to
learn about any surf hazards and heed their advice. Pay attention
to flags and posted signs and swim in life guarded areas.
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain
calm... do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for
help. If you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to
shore. Once you are away from the force of the rip current...
begin to swim back toward the beach. Do not attempt to swim
directly against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
- Alabama - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Wind Advisory
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Frost Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Warning, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Maine - Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Minnesota - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Blowing Dust Advisory , Blowing Dust Advisory, Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- New Jersey - Record Report
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Utah - Wind Advisory, High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report