Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Orange
Statement as of 3:32 AM EDT on April 25, 2015
Expires 9:00 AM EDT on April 25, 2015
... Freeze warning remains in effect until 9 am EDT this morning...
* locations... interior southern Connecticut... the lower Hudson
Valley... and interior portions of northeastern New Jersey.
* Hazards... sub-freezing temperatures.
* Temperatures... mid 20s to around 30.
* Timing... this morning.
* Impacts... the sub-freezing temperatures will kill crops and
other sensitive vegetation.
A freeze warning means below freezing temperatures are imminent
or highly likely. These conditions will kill crops and other
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:27 AM EDT on April 25, 2015
... Air quality awareness week is April 27-may 1...
Next week Marks the beginning of ozone season for many areas in
the United States.
The goal of air quality awareness week is to provide information on
outdoor air pollution and its impact on the quality of the air we
breathe. Noaa's National Weather Service (nws) is partnering with
the U.S. Environmental protection agency (epa) and the U.S.
Centers for disease control and prevention (cdc) to meet this goal.
Poor air quality impacts our health. To learn more about poor air
quality... air quality forecasts... alerts and safety tips to help
mitigate poor air quality... visit www.Airquality.NOAA.Gov.
Today we highlight two types of air pollution: ozone and particle
pollution. These are two common pollutants found in many parts of
Ozone is a colorless odorless gas. It is the same gas that is found
in the ozone layer... high in the earth's stratosphere... where it
protects US from the sun's ultraviolet energy. But at ground level
where we live... ozone pollution is unhealthy to breathe.
Particle pollution... or airborne particle pollution... consists of
microscopic particles in the air. Depending on where you live... it
can be a problem in the winter and/or Summer. Like ozone... particle
pollution is not healthy to breathe. The particles also contribute
to haze which blurs The View in many cities and National Parks.
Ozone forms when two groups of key pollutants... nitrogen oxides and
volatile organic compounds... Cook in the sun. Particle pollution can
be directly emitted for example in smoke from a woodstove... but a
lot of particles form when gases react in the air.
These ozone and particle forming pollutants come from a variety of
sources... including cars... trucks... buses... power plants... and
industries. Natural sources such as wildfires and duststorms
contribute to particle pollution. Trees and other vegetation also
Emit organic compounds that contribute to particle and ozone
Exposure to high levels of ozone and particle pollution is linked
with a number of significant health problems. Children... people with
lung disease... older adults and people with heart disease tend to be
more vulnerable. When pollution reaches high enough levels... the air
can be unhealthy for everyone... especially if you are active
Sunday's topic will cover air quality forecasts and safety tips to
mitigate poor air quality.
- Alabama - Tornado Warning , Tornado Watch , Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning
- Alaska - Fire Weather Warning
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- California - Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Frost Advisory
- Florida - Tornado Warning , Tornado Watch , Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Maine - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Michigan - Record Report
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Tornado Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Montana - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- New Jersey - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oklahoma - Lake Wind Advisory
- Oregon - Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Rhode Island - Freeze Warning
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- - Tornado Watch