Current Watches and Warnings
New Mexico, Chaves County Plains
High Wind Warning
Statement as of 3:53 PM MDT on March 17, 2018
Expires 3:00 AM EDT on March 19, 2018
... High Wind Warning in effect from 11 am Sunday to 1 am MDT
The National Weather Service in Albuquerque has issued a High
Wind Warning, which is in effect from 11 am Sunday to 1 am MDT
Monday. The high wind watch is no longer in effect.
* Location... the Sandia and Manzano Mountains southward to the
Sacramento Mountains and eastward to the Texas border.
* Winds... west winds at 35 to 45 mph with gusts 55 to 70 mph.
* Timing... winds will develop early Sunday afternoon and
continue through mid evening Sunday.
* Visibility... local reductions due to blowing dust will be
* Local impacts... drivers of vans, campers, trailers, and other
high-profile vehicles should exercise extreme caution. This
especially includes travel on U.S. Highway 54 and U.S. Highway
285, and other north-south oriented roads.
Remember, a High Wind Warning means damaging winds are imminent
or highly likely. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or
gusts of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.
Fire Weather Warning
Statement as of 7:46 PM MDT on March 17, 2018
Expires 10:00 PM EDT on March 19, 2018
... Red flag warning remains in effect from noon CDT /11 am MDT/
Sunday to 9 PM CDT /8 PM MDT/ Monday for all of West Texas and
southeast New Mexico...
* wind... mountains... southwest to west 35 mph to 55 mph and
gusting to around 65 mph. Plains... southwest to west 30 to 50
mph with gusts to around 55 mph.
* Humidity... 7 to 15 percent.
* Fuel... dry to critically dry.
* Impacts... evacuations are possible, low visibility and Road
closures are likely. High winds may limit effectiveness of
aircraft. Power outages are possible as well.
High winds and very low relative humidity, combined with abundant
dry vegetation, will create conditions supportive of the multiple
occurrence of large, destructive, and potentially life
threatening fires. The National Weather Service sees an
increased risk of a regional outbreak of dangerous wind- driven
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement
- Arizona - Winter Weather Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory
- Georgia - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Guam - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Record Report
- Kentucky - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning , Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Mexico - High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- North Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Special Statement
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- Oregon - Winter Weather Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- South Dakota - Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Winter Weather Advisory , Avalanche Warning
- Virginia - Severe Thunderstorm Watch
- Washington - Winter Weather Advisory
- West Virginia - Severe Thunderstorm Watch
- Wisconsin -
- Wyoming - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement