Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:34 AM EDT on August 02, 2015
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on August 03, 2015
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through Monday
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions late tonight
and Sunday include... South Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven
State Park... Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... southwest winds will increase late
tonight from north to south along the Lakeshore. Winds of 20 to
30 mph with higher gusts possible will produce waves of 3 to 6
feet with locally higher waves likely... especially further
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Weather Statement , Special Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- South Carolina - Special Statement
- Tennessee - Air Quality Alert
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory