Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:42 AM EDT on July 06, 2015
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on July 07, 2015
... Beach hazards statement now in effect from 2 PM EDT this
afternoon through Tuesday afternoon...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions late Monday
include... South Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven State
Park... Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south winds will increase to 15 to
25 knots this afternoon then swing to the north behind the cold
front Tuesday morning. Swim hazards will become more likely by
mid afternoon up north and early evening down south. Conditions
will continue through Tuesday as a cold north wind surges in
behind the cold front Tuesday.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Arizona - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Colorado - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- South Dakota - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Virginia - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report