Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:26 AM EDT on August 23, 2017
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on August 23, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions include...
North Beach in South Haven... Holland State Park... Muskegon
State Park... Mears State Park in Pentwater... Stearns Park in
* Overview/potential impacts... northwest winds of 15 to 25 mph
will continue this morning along with waves of 3 to 6. North
sides of north piers will be dangerous places to swim.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Record Report
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Watch
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Colorado -
- Delaware - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Florida - Record Report
- Hawaii - Special Statement
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning
- Illinois - Flood Advisory
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Areal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Montana - Fire Weather Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Flood Warning
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning
- New Jersey - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Advisory
- New York - Beach Hazard Statement, Lakeshore Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Beach Hazard Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Pennsylvania - Areal Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report