Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:45 PM EDT on June 27, 2017
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on June 29, 2017
... Beach hazards statement in effect from Wednesday morning
through Thursday afternoon...
The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids has issued a beach
hazards statement... which is in effect from Wednesday morning
through Thursday afternoon.
* High wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions include... South
Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven State Park... Pere Marquette
Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... winds will increase beginning late
tonight, and become hazardous beginning Wednesday morning.
Southerly winds of 20 to 30 mph and waves of 4 to 7 feet will
create very dangerous conditions. The most dangerous conditions
will be on the south side of structures. Conditions will
continue to be hazardous through Thursday morning, before winds
and waves diminish Thursday afternoon.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- California - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Record Report
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Maine - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Montana - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Nevada - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- New Mexico -
- New York - Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- North Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Ohio - Beach Hazard Statement
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Oregon - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Beach Hazard Statement
- Rhode Island - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- South Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Vermont - Special Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement