New York Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 9:26 PM EDT on July 23, 2014
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on July 24, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect until 2 am EDT
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from Grand Haven to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today include...
the north side of piers including Stearns Park in Ludington...
Mears State Park and Muskegon State Park.
* Overview/potential impacts... north to northwest winds 10 to 20
mph will diminish to 5 to 15 mph tonight. Hazardous swimming
conditions will exist tonight mainly along north facing piers
due to structural currents and 3 to 5 foot waves.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Special Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Advisory
- Maryland - Special Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , High Wind Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- New Jersey - Special Statement
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Washington - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement