New York Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Local Storm Report
10/15/2014 0113 PM
Savage, Howard County.
Tornado, reported by NWS storm survey.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:04 PM EDT on October 20, 2014
... Tornado confirmed near Alexandria in eastern Fairfax County
Location... eastern Fairfax County and the city of Alexandria
date... October 15 2014
estimated time... 12:23 PM to 12:26 PM EDT
maximum ef-scale rating... EF-0
estimated maximum wind speed... 55-65 mph
maximum path width... 75 yards
path length... 1.5 miles
beginning lat/Lon... 38.780n/77.060w
ending lat/Lon... 38.801n/77.049w
* fatalities... none
* injuries... none
* the information in this statement is preliminary and subject to
change pending final review of the event(s) and publication in
NWS storm data.
the National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington DC has
confirmed a tornado in eastern Fairfax County and the city of
Alexandria Virginia on October 15 2014.
After a review of radar observations... public... and broadcast
media reports... the National Weather Service in Baltimore
MD/Washington DC has confirmed that on Wednesday afternoon October
15 2014... an EF-0 tornado touched down near Belle Haven in eastern
Fairfax County Virginia and continued north on an approximate 1.5
mile intermittent damage path to the city of Alexandria before
This review is based on corroborating evidence of observed damage
locations and rotational velocity Couplets from the federal
aviation administrations terminal Doppler weather radars at
Washington Reagan National Airport and joint base Andrews... along
with National Weather Service klwx WSR-88D radar in Sterling VA.
The tornado is estimated to have touched down at 12:23 PM... where
there was a tree down near the intersection of Hunt Road and Belle
Haven Road. The tornado continued north across the Belle Haven
Country Club where more large tree limbs were snapped. The tornado
likely lifted across Interstate 495 where it crosses over the
George Washington Parkway... where large tree branches were downed.
Several more large tree branches were snapped in the adjacent
neighborhood to the north before the radar couplet signature
weakened after 12:26 PM.
These type of low-end EF-0 tornadoes are common to quasi-linear
convective system environments... which was present on this day.
For reference... the Enhanced Fujita scale classifies tornadoes
into the following categories:
EF0... wind speeds 65 to 85 mph.
EF1... wind speeds 86 to 110 mph.
EF2... wind speeds 111 to 135 mph.
EF3... wind speeds 136 to 165 mph.
EF4... wind speeds 166 to 200 mph.
EF5... wind speeds greater than 200 mph.
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Special Statement
- Puerto Rico - Areal Flood Warning
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report