Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Southeast Elbert County Below 6000 Feet/South Lincoln County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on March 30, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
28-30 in 1949... a major winter storm dumped 11.3 inches of snow over
downtown Denver. Snowfall totaled 10.4 inches at Stapleton
Airport. North to northeast winds were sustained to 17 mph.
In 1985... a slow moving snow storm moved across the state.
Denver received only 4.0 inches of snowfall with amounts in
the foothills totaling 1 to 2 feet. Still... this was enough
snow in Denver to cause flight delays of up to 6 hours at
Stapleton International Airport on the night of the 29th.
East winds gusted to 28 mph on the 28th.
29-30 in 1938... overnight heavy snowfall was 6.3 inches over
In 1982... strong winds buffeted Metro Denver... breaking windows
and damaging roofs. Wind gusts to 90 mph were recorded in
Boulder and 51 mph at Stapleton Airport. The strong winds
flattened a condominium under construction in Lakewood.
In 1991... 1 to 6 inches of snow fell across Metro Denver with
the heaviest snow confined to the foothills. Six inches of
snow was recorded at South Platte in the foothills
southwest of Denver and 3 inches at Castle Rock. Snowfall
totaled only 0.7 inch at Stapleton International Airport
where northeast winds gusted to 33 mph on the 29th.
29-31 in 1970... snowfall totaled 6.0 inches at Stapleton
International Airport. Heavy snow accumulation in Boulder
on the 29th caused the collapse of a carport at an apartment
building... damaging 11 automobiles. Northeast winds gusted
to 24 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
30 in 1895... rain changed to sleet... then snow... and totaled 8.0
inches in downtown Denver. Strong Post-frontal northeast
winds were sustained to 48 mph with gusts to 61 mph.
Temperatures hovered around 30 degrees all day.
In 1968... microburst winds associated with virga and brief
light rain gusted to 46 mph at Stapleton International
In 1983... winds gusted to 82 mph at the National center for
atmospheric research in Boulder with peak gusts of 70 to
80 mph in the foothills. Minor damage occurred at a
construction site and to some homes in Boulder. West
winds gusted to 39 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
30-31 in 1896... heavy snowfall totaled 7.5 inches in downtown
Denver. Northwest winds gusted to 26 mph.
In 1897... rain changed to snow during the early morning of
the 30th and totaled 6.2 inches before ending during
the late morning of the 31st. Northwest winds were
sustained to 35 mph with gusts to 46 mph.
In 1929... heavy snowfall of 7.0 inches was recorded over
downtown Denver. Northwest winds were sustained to
23 mph on the 30th.
In 1953... heavy snowfall totaled 8.6 inches at Stapleton
Airport where northeast winds gusted to 23 mph.
In 1955... a vigorous cold front produced north winds at 40 mph
with gusts as high as 54 mph at Stapleton Airport. Rain
and snow showers and blowing dust accompanied the front.
Snowfall totaled only 0.1 inch at Stapleton Airport on
In 1988... snow began falling on the afternoon of the 30th and
continued through the 31st... burying Metro Denver. Twelve
to 18 inches of snow fell in the foothills to the west of
Denver and Boulder with 6 to 12 inches across the rest of
Metro Denver. The storm disrupted aircraft operations
at Stapleton International Airport where snowfall totaled
7.1 inches and north winds gusting to 32 mph reduced the
visibility to less than 1/4 mile at times... causing air
traffic delays of 2 to 3 hours.
In 2000... heavy snow once again developed over the foothills
and the higher terrain to the south of Metro Denver.
Snowfall totals from the storm included: 16 inches atop
Squaw Mountain... 15 inches near Rollinsville... 13 inches
near Evergreen... 12 inches near Morrison... 11 inches in
Coal Creek Canyon... 10 inches near Blackhawk and in
Eldorado Springs... 9 inches at ken caryl ranch and Larkspur...
and 8 inches near Elizabeth. Snowfall totaled only 4.1
inches at the site of the former Stapleton International
Airport. North winds gusted to 32 mph at Denver
International Airport on the 30th.
In 2005... a strong Spring storm intensified over the
eastern plains of Colorado and produced near-blizzard
conditions to the east and southeast of Denver overnight.
North to northwest winds from 20 to 35 mph with gusts
to 50 mph produced extensive blowing snow and caused
near zero visibilities at times and snow drifts from
2 to 4 feet in depth. Snowfall amounts included:
12 inches near Bennett... 8 inches around Castle Rock...
7 inches near Sedalia... and 6 inches near Parker.
Only 0.3 inch of snow was reported at Denver Stapleton.
At Denver International Airport... north winds gusted to
37 mph on the 30th and 36 mph on the 31st.
In 2014... on the evening of the 30th... high based showers
and thunderstorms produced microburst winds over northern
Jefferson... eastern Boulder and southwest Weld counties.
Peak wind reports included: 77 mph at white ranch open
space; 72 mph... 2 miles north of longmont; 67 mph near Erie
and firestone; 60 mph near Mead and 59 mph... 5 miles
northwest of henderson; with 53 mph at Denver internatinal
Airport. The wind downed power lines in Weld County which
sparked a small fire. High winds then developed in the
Front Range foothills and urban corridor through the
morning of the 31st. Peak wind gusts included: 98 mph
near Gold hill; 77 mph near Eldorado springs; 61 mph at
Centennial airport; 59 mph at Buckley air force; with 44
mph at Denver International Airport.
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement , Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Kansas - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Fire Weather Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Montana - Fire Weather Watch
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Warning
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Jersey - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- South Dakota - Fire Weather Warning
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report