New York Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Central and South Weld County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on May 25, 2013
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
20-27 in 2002... lightning sparked a wildfire near Deckers. Extremely
dry conditions and very strong winds the following day
allowed the fire... known as the Schoonover... to consume 3850
acres before it could be contained. Thirteen structures
were destroyed... including 4 homes... resulting in 2.2 million
dollars in damage.
24-26 in 1996... a late Spring snowstorm dumped 4 to 10 inches of
snow over the Front Range foothills. Conifer picked up
10 inches of new snow; Aspen Springs... 9 inches; and
Central City... 8 inches. The sticky... heavy snow clung to
power lines and pulled tree branches down... causing power
outages to about 1200 homes in the Conifer area. It took
up to 6 hours to restore power to some residences.
Lightning struck a telephone data Cabinet in Conifer on
the 25th... which knocked out phone service to about 1500
customers. Widespread rain fell across Metro Denver...
where rainfall totaled 2.07 inches at the site of the
former Stapleton International Airport and 1.66 inches at
Denver International Airport where north winds gusted to
24 mph on the 26th.
In 2010... high winds preceding a cold front... swept across
the Front Range foothills and urban corridor. In Aurora...
the wind damaged the roof of rangeview High School. In
Conifer and Denver... the wind downed trees and power
lines and caused several brief outages. The downed
power lines also caused several cars to catch fire in
the vicinity of 1590 Cook St. In Denver. Peak wind gusts
included: 82 mph at Highlands Ranch... 67 mph... 4 miles
east of Franktown and longmont; 65 mph in Boulder... 64 mph
in centenniel and Denver International Airport... 62 mph
near Parker and 60 mph in Arvada.
25 in 1877... lightning killed one person in west Denver and
struck several houses. The Bolt struck the house of the
"home laundry" stunning the occupants and killing a lady
who was holding one of her grand children in her arms.
The child escaped unhurt. The lightning also struck the
top of a tree in front of the house and partially peeled
the bark off the tree. Lightning struck a church in the
Evans addition and another tree in east Denver. Lightning
struck the switch room at the Telegraph office where the
operator saw small balls of lightning pass across the room
to the stove. The thunderstorm pelted the city with only
pea size hail. Precipitation from the storm totaled 0.40
inch in downtown Denver.
In 1880... light rain all afternoon totaled only 0.24 inch
in the city... but was valuable to stockmen and farmers
due to the very dry... parched weather conditions on the
In 1965... a tornado was sighted by a pilot 30 miles south
southeast of Denver. No damage was reported. Another
pilot reported 3/4 inch hail 30 miles east of Denver. The
state patrol reported that a man was killed when a fierce
gust of wind swept him from the back of a pick-up truck in
northwest Douglas County. The man was holding a mattress
in the bed of the truck.
In 1974... a microburst wind gust to 53 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport. A pilot reported a tornado
20 miles east of Denver.
In 1976... lightning struck a home in Boulder... shattering 2
large trees and damaging a television set.
In 1997... hail as large as 1 3/4 inches in diameter fell near
Watkins. Hail to 3/4 inch in diameter fell in Broomfield
and near Lochbuie.
In 2000... 3/4 inch diameter hail fell at Cherry Creek Reservoir
in Aurora. Thunderstorm winds gusted to 51 mph at Denver
International Airport where small hail fell.
In 2006... a severe thunderstorm produced an estimated wind gust
to 70 mph in Hudson. The strong winds damaged the roof of a
home. A thunderstorm produced southwest wind gusts to 54
mph at Denver International Airport.
25-26 in 1950... a major storm dumped 10.0 inches of snowfall
downtown and 10.7 inches at Stapleton Airport where
northwest winds gusted to 30 mph on the 25th. The storm
caused extensive damage to utility wires and trees which
were in full Leaf. A daily record minimum temperature of
31 degrees occurred on the 25th. This was the coldest
temperature on this date in 79 years and for so late in the
In 1989... a late season snow storm dropped snow as low as 6
thousand feet along the Front Range. Most places in the
foothills had 2 to 5 inches of snow. Overnight rainfall
totaled 0.33 inch at Stapleton International Airport where
north winds gusted to 37 mph on the 25th.
In 1994... lightning struck a television transmitter on Lookout
Mountain near Golden and burned out a switcher... which
disrupted cable service for 2 hours.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Watch , Dense Fog Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- California - Special Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Colorado - Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Special Statement
- Florida - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Special Statement , Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Maine - Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Jersey - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Frost Advisory, Freeze Watch , Freeze Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Record Report
- North Dakota - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Ohio - Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Freeze Watch , Frost Advisory, Freeze Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Virgin Islands - Flash Flood Watch
- Virginia - Frost Advisory
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
View your local ocean forecast and tides in our Marine Report.
See the latest severe weather alerts from the National Weather Services, locally and nationally, in our Severe Weather Center.
- More Wet Weather On Tap For Much Of Memorial Day Weekend
- Powerful Storms Continue To Come And Go Throughout Tri-State Area
- Robert Moses State Park, Jones Beach Boardwalk Reopen
- NYS Assemblyman In Tornado-Ravaged Okla. To Repay Support Given During Sandy
- Tri-State Area Sends Help To Oklahoma Town Devastated By Tornado
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.