Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Northeast Weld County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on August 04, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
3-4 in 1988... two inches of rain fell in 3 hours at both Morrison
and Wheat Ridge. Thunderstorm rainfall totaled 0.80
inch overnight at Stapleton International Airport.
4 in 1889... southwest winds were sustained to 42 mph with
an extreme velocity to 52 mph.
In 1924... 0.01 inch of rain fell over downtown Denver. This
along with the 0.01 inch of rainfall on the 10th was the
only rainfall of the month... the driest August on record.
In 1963... heavy rains in the foothills above Idaho Springs
caused mud and rock slides which closed U.S. Highways 6
and 40 for a time.
In 1976... hail to 1 inch diameter was reported 12 miles
southwest of Denver. Hail to 3/4 inch in diameter was
reported in Lakewood. Small hail... 1/4 to 1/2 inch in
diameter... fell at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1982... heavy rain poured through the roof of a clothing
store in Aurora... causing widespread water damage. The roof
was being repaired when the storm hit.
In 1983... hail up to one inch in diameter fell in Aurora
where heavy rain produced street flooding.
In 1984... a Colorado state trooper was struck and injured by
lightning in Northglenn.
In 1989... a microburst wind gust to 52 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport.
In 1997... lightning sparked a small fire in a home in Arvada...
causing minor damage. Several intersections in both Arvada
and Westminster were flooded by thunderstorms producing
heavy rain. Several cars were damaged by the high waters...
and a number of businesses were flooded.
In 1999... flooding and flash flooding problems developed over
Metro Denver as slow moving thunderstorms dumped from 2 to
3.5 inches of rainfall in about 3 hours. Near the Junction
of I-25 and U.S. Highway 36... up to 4 feet of water flooded
an auto dealership. About 45 cars were ruined. Damage
estimates to the dealership alone totaled nearly a half
million dollars. Sections of I-25 and U.S. 36 near the
interchange were closed due to floodwaters. Floodwaters...
up to 5 feet deep... forced the evacuation of two Mobile
home Parks in Federal Heights. Railroad tracks were
washed out near federal Blvd. And 64th Avenue. Numerous
power outages caused widespread blackouts in Thornton and
Littleton. Along Massey Draw near Carr St. And Chatfield
Reservoir... 4 homes were flood damaged and portions of their
backyards washed out. Widespread street flooding was also
reported in Boulder where several buildings were flood
damaged... including the University of Colorado Memorial
In 2004... two golfers were shocked when lightning struck the
eighth green of The Golf Course at Castle pines north of
Castle Rock. The two men suffered only minor injuries.
Heavy thunderstorm rain from the same storm caused flash
flooding. Floodwaters rushed across parts of U.S. Highway
85 near the entrance to The Castle pines Golf club. The
traffic lanes were covered with up to 6 inches of running
In 2008... lightning sparked a grassfire that consumed 300
acres on the northern edge of Green Mountain... in Jefferson
County. Gusty winds and very dry conditions allowed the
wildfire to quickly spread and threaten several houses.
Fortunately... only minor damage was reported to homes due
to smoke and melted siding.
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Delaware - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch, Coastal Flood Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Watch , High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Montana - Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- New Jersey - Special Statement
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Special Statement
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- South Dakota - Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- West Virginia - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Wyoming - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement