Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, South and East Jackson/Larimer/North and Northeast Grand/Northwest Boulder Counties Above 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on January 27, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
25-27 in 1897... a cold spell resulted in three temperature records.
Low temperature of 14 degrees below zero on the 27th was
a record minimum for the date. High temperatures of only
3 degrees on the 25th and 2 degrees on the 26th were record
low maximums for the dates. Very light snow or flurries
fell on the 25th and 26th at times.
26-27 in 1944... heavy snowfall totaled 8.0 inches in downtown
Denver. Most of the snow... 7.0 inches... occurred on the
26th when northwest winds were sustained to 17 mph.
In 1973... at Stapleton International Airport... only 3.8 inches
of snowfall were measured and north winds gusted to 40 mph
causing some blowing snow... while over the Colorado eastern
plains heavy snow accompanied by high winds created
widespread blizzard conditions closing many highways.
In 1994... the combination of an upper level storm system
and moist upslope winds brought heavy snow and cold
temperatures to Metro Denver and much of eastern Colorado.
Snowfall across Metro Denver averaged 5 to 7 inches.
Snowfall totaled 3.8 inches at Stapleton International
Airport where east winds gusted to 21 mph on the 26th.
In 2000... snow... heavy in the mountains... spread over the
foothills and Metro Denver. Eight inches of snow were
measured at Bergen Park and near Evergreen. Snowfall
totaled 3.8 inches at the site of the former Stapleton
26-1 in 1888... a protracted warm spell lasted a week. Maximum
temperatures ranged from 62 degrees on the 29th to an
all time record high for the month of 76 degrees on the
27th. Daily record high temperatures of 76... 69... and 71
occurred on the 27th... 28th... and 30th respectively.
Record high minimum temperatures of 47 and 34 occurred
on the 26th and 27th.
27 in 1888... the highest recorded temperature in January... 76
In 1967... strong winds caused a power outage in Boulder.
In 1984... this was the last day of 63 consecutive days
with snow cover of one inch or more in Denver. This
longest period of snow cover on record began with the
Thanksgiving weekend blizzard on November 26-27... 1983...
when 21.5 inches of snow fell at Stapleton International
Airport. Additional snowfall during December and
January prolonged the event. Snow depth on the ground
to the nearest inch was measured once daily at 5:00 am MST.
27-28 in 1899... snowfall totaled 6.2 inches in the city. Northeast
winds were sustained to 36 mph with gusts to 40 mph on the
In 1965... high winds raked the Front Range foothills. West
winds gusted to 89 mph on Table Mountain in Boulder... 87 mph
at Rocky Flats... and 54 mph at Stapleton International
Airport. Damage and minor injuries occurred in Boulder and
western Metro Denver. Four men were injured by wind-
caused accidents while working on construction... 2 in Denver
and 2 in Boulder. There was extensive damage to power lines...
buildings... signs... and trees. Some minor accidents were
caused by blowing dust and debris. Blown dust accumulated
2 to 3 feet deep on some lawns in northern Metro Denver
suburbs. Dust blew into buildings and homes.
In 1989... the heaviest snowstorm of the winter dumped 9 to 15
inches of snow across Metro Denver. Snowfall totaled 8.8
inches at Stapleton International Airport with most of the
snow... 8.6 inches... falling on the 28th. Strong north winds
gusting to 46 mph whipped the snow into 2-foot drifts and
reduced visibility in blowing snow. The foothills received
up to 18 inches of snow. The snow fell on a weekend... so
closures and other disruptions were minimal. The public
reported thunder in Arvada... Wheat Ridge... and Boulder on the
evening of the 27th. A thunderstorm produced snow pellets
at Stapleton International Airport during the early morning
hours of the 28th. This was the first thunderstorm in the
city during January since 1932.
In 1996... winds to hurricane force were reported across the
Front Range foothills in the wake of a Pacific storm system.
Recorded wind speeds included: 86 mph at the National center
for atmospheric research southwest of Boulder... 86 mph atop
Squaw Mountain west of Denver... and 75 mph at Jefferson
County Airport in Broomfield. West-northwest winds gusted
to 48 mph at Denver International Airport on the 28th.
In 2009... high winds buffeted the foothills of Boulder and
Jefferson counties. Peak wind gusts included: 101 mph at
Eldora ski resort... 100 mph... 6 miles northwest of boulder;
84 mph at ncar Mesa lab... 79 mph... 5 miles northwest of
boulder; and 75 mph at the National wind technology center.
In Nederland... a wind turbine recently installed was damaged
by the high winds. A peak wind gust of 38 mph occurred at
Denver International Airport on the 28th.
27-31 in 1951... a major storm dumped 10.1 inches of snowfall at
Stapleton Airport. Most of the snow... 8.3 inches... fell on
the 29th. Cold Arctic air accompanied the snow. Several
temperature records were set... including record low maximum
temperatures of 4 on the 28th and 4 below zero on the 29th
and record low temperatures of 12 below zero on the 29th
and 24 below zero on the 31st. Temperatures were below
zero for 45 consecutive hours.
- Alaska - Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Coastal Flood Advisory , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Blizzard Warning , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement, High Surf Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Idaho - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Kansas - Record Report
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Blizzard Warning , Winter Storm Warning
- Maryland - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Coastal Flood Warning , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Coastal Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning
- New Jersey - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- New York - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Statement, Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Statement , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Ohio - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - Dense Fog Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Blizzard Warning , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Record Report