Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Grand and Summit Counties Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on July 31, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
13-5 in 2008... a streak of 24 consecutive days of 90 degrees
shattered the previous record of 18 consecutive days
established in 1901 and 1874. Ironically... no new single
day record high temperatures were set in the month of July.
In August however... a record of 104 degrees was set on the
1st... and another record of 103 degrees was set on the 2nd.
In addition... a record low min of 70 degrees was set on
18-2 in 1987... a streak of 16 consecutive days of 90 degrees
ranked 4th on the list of hot streaks. The record of
24 consecutive days was established in the Summer of
27-31 in 1956... 96 percent of the total precipitation for the month
of July occurred over the last five days of the month.
Heavy thunderstorms produced 4.00 inches of rainfall at
Stapleton Airport. This amount of precipitation in 5 days
or less had been exceeded only 3 times in previous record.
The last time had been in December of 1913 as snow.
Considerable property damage occurred across Metro Denver
31 in 1873... the all-time lowest recorded temperature in July...
42 degrees... occurred. The same temperature also occurred
on July 4... 1903.
In 1874... during the late afternoon rain and hail fell for
5 minutes followed by brief heavy rain. Pieces of solid
ice of irregular shape fell upon the roof of the station.
The hail stones measured 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
Precipitation (rain and melted hail) was only 0.16 inch.
In 1889... the high temperature climbed to 100 degrees in
In 1919... heavy thunderstorm rainfall totaled 2.59 inches in
downtown Denver during the evening. Rainfall was 1.90
inches in an hour... a new record at that time.
In 1961... over an inch of rain in a short period of time caused
flooding of streets and basements in Denver. Rainfall
totaled 1.30 inches at 11th and Lincoln in central Denver.
In 1964... the temperature reached 91 degrees in Denver... making
this the 27th day of the month that the temperature reached
90 degrees or more. This is the all time record for 90
degree days in a month in Denver.
In 1972... one inch diameter hail fell in Hudson northeast of
In 1976... during the evening hours extremely heavy thunderstorm
rains produced flash flooding in Big Thompson Canyon which
killed 144 people between Estes Park and Loveland. No
significant weather occurred in Metro Denver at the time.
In 1987... 1 inch diameter hail fell in Lakewood and 3/4 inch
hail fell near Louisville. Southeast Boulder County was
drenched with 1.25 inches of rain in just 20 minutes.
In 1993... thunderstorm winds damaged a chimney of a home near
In 1996... a weak tornado (f0) was sighted 12 miles east of
Denver International Airport. No damage was reported.
In 1998... heavy monsoonal thunderstorm rain triggered a mud
slide in Blackhawk. The mudslide blocked main St. And
caused an estimated half million dollars in damage to a
casino. Heavy thunderstorm rain... up to 3 inches in an
hour... caused a flash flood along Buffalo Creek. Portions
of County Road 126 just south of the town of Buffalo
Creek were washed out. The flood waters nearly washed
away the bridge as mud and debris slammed into the
structure. Hail to 1 3/4 inches in diameter fell near
In 2004... severe thunderstorm winds toppled a 65-foot Blue
Spruce tree in Parker. The tree landed on a home damaging
the roof and gutters. The downed tree poked dozens of holes
into the shingles.
In 2013... severe thunderstorm winds... with gusts estimated to 80
mph... downed power poles which caused scattered outages in and
around Byers... Bennett and Strasburg. Some property damage was
also observed. Near Byers... aluminum siding and roofing was
peeled off sheds. Large hail... up to one inch in diameter... was
reported north of Bennett. At Denver International Airport...
a peak wind gust to 40 mph was observed from the northeast.
- Alaska - Dense Smoke Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Maryland - Record Report
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch
- New Jersey - Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch
- North Carolina - Record Report
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wyoming - Record Report
- - Small Craft Advisory