Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Jackson County Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on November 21, 2017
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
19-21 in 1979... a heavy snowstorm buried most of Colorado under at
least a foot of snow. Snowfall at Stapleton International
Airport totaled 17.7 inches... the greatest snow depth since
1946. Winds to 60 mph produced 5-foot drifts paralyzing
the city as temperatures hovered in the 20's. While small
airports closed... Stapleton remained open... but with long
delays that snarled Thanksgiving Holiday traffic. Schools
and businesses closed and postal deliveries were delayed.
Almost all major highways leading out of Denver were closed
to traffic for periods of time on the 20th and 21st. Most
of the snow... 13.5 inches... fell on the 20th. At Stapleton
International Airport... north winds gusted to 35 mph on the
20th and to 38 mph on the 21st.
20-21 in 1898... snowfall totaled 4.0 inches in downtown Denver.
Northeast winds were sustained to 48 mph with gusts as
high as 60 mph behind an apparent cold front on the 20th...
when temperatures plunged from a high of 66 degrees to a
low of 9 degrees. On the 21st the high was only 24 degrees
and the low was 2 degrees.
In 1970... a wind gust to 94 mph was recorded at Gold Hill in
the foothills west of Boulder. Strong winds also swept
across Metro Denver. Wind gusts reached 59 mph in downtown
Boulder... while at Stapleton International Airport west-
northwest winds gusted to 43 mph on the 21st. Damage was
In 1992... a large Canadian air mass moved into the state at
the same time an upper level storm system approached from
the west. The combination of cold air at the surface and
very moist air aloft produced heavy snow across the entire
state. Snowfall totaled 6.3 inches at Stapleton
International Airport... where north winds gusted to 23 mph
on the 20th. Snow was heavier in the foothills... with 14
inches at Wondervu... 13 inches at Aspen Springs... Conifer...
Boulder... and Gross Reservoir... 8 inches at Rollinsville...
and 10 inches at Golden Gate Canyon and Morrison.
In 2007... a storm system brought moderate to heavy snowfall
to portions of the urban corridor. Storm totals included:
7 inches... 3 miles south-southeast of Fort Collins... with 6
inches in Boulder and at horsetooth Inlet Bay. Elsewhere...
storm totals ranged from 2 to 5 inches. Snowfall
totaled 2.0 inches at the site of the former Stapleton
21 in 1891... northwest winds were sustained to 50 mph with gusts
to 60 mph.
In 1899... a trace of snow fell in the city. This... together
with a trace of precipitation on the 16th and 23rd... was the
only precipitation of the month... making the month the driest
on record. The record was equaled in November of 1901 and
1949. This trace of snow along with a trace of snow on the
23rd was the only snow of the month... ranking the month the
2nd least snowiest on record. This record was equaled in
November of 1884... 1901... 1905... 1917... and 1939.
In 1900... west winds were sustained to 46 mph with gusts to
54 mph. The Chinook winds warmed the temperature to a
high of 64 degrees.
In 1934... the latest date for the first measurable snow of the
season occurred. This was not the first snow of the season...
because traces of snow had fallen earlier in September.
Snowfall totaled only 1.0 inch over downtown Denver.
In 1962... strong west-northwest Chinook winds gusted to
53 mph at Stapleton Airport.
In 1998... an intense mountain wave allowed for high winds
to develop in the foothills of Boulder County. Wind
gusts as high as 77 mph were measured 3 miles east-
northeast of Nederland.
21-22 in 1905... a trace of snow fell on both days in downtown
Denver. This was the only snow of the month... ranking
the month along with other novembers... the 2nd least
snowiest on record.
In 1999... the first significant snowfall of the season struck
Metro Denver. Snowfall totals included: 16 inches near
bailey; 13 inches near evergreen; 12 inches at north Turkey
Creek... Genesee... near Morrison... and near sedalia; 11 inches
near Conifer and in evergreen; 10 inches in louisville;
9 inches in Brighton... Broomfield... and denver; and 8 inches
at Arvada... Castle Rock... and Eldorado Springs. Snowfall
totaled 8.4 inches at the site of the former Stapleton
In 2003... heavy snow fell in and near the foothills of Boulder
County. Snowfall totaled 10.5 inches in Eldorado Springs.
Across the city... snowfall was lighter with 2.8 inches
measured at the site of the former Stapleton International
Airport on the 22nd. North winds gusted to 32 mph at Denver
International Airport on the 22nd.
21-23 in 1918... Post-frontal snowfall totaled 5.9 inches in downtown
Denver. Most of the snow... 5.3 inches... fell on the 22nd.
North winds were sustained to 20 mph on the 21st.
In 1931... a major storm dumped a total of 13.2 inches of
snowfall over downtown Denver. Most of the snow... 11.4
inches... fell on the 21st. A very cold air mass settled
over the city after the heavy snow on the 21st. After a
low temperature of zero... the temperature climbed to a high
of only 5 degrees on the 22nd... a record low maximum for the
21-25 in 1952... snowfall of 6.2 inches was measured at Stapleton
Airport where northeast winds gusted to 17 mph on the
- Alaska - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Blizzard Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , High Wind Warning , Record Report
- Idaho - Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Iowa - Wind Advisory
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Minnesota - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Missouri -
- Montana - Wind Advisory
- Nevada -
- New Mexico -
- New York - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Watch
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning
- Utah - Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , Winter Weather Advisory
- - Small Craft Advisory