Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Jackson County Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on September 25, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
25 in 1873... a fire was sighted in the Woods near Platte Canyon...
probably caused by high winds blowing Sparks among the
In 1896... an apparent cold front produced northeast sustained
winds to 40 mph with gusts to 48 mph.
In 1910... a thunderstorm produced sustained north winds to
51 mph. This was the highest recorded wind speed in the
city in September at the time.
In 1936... a vigorous cold front produced a deadly dust storm
in the city. North winds sustained to 36 mph with gusts
to 38 mph produced much blowing dense dust... greatly
restricting the visibility. The temperature plunged from
a high of 84 degrees to a low of 38 degrees by midnight.
The weather observer described the event with the following.
"At 6:00 PM the temperature was 82 degrees and the wind
velocity was only 4 mph; but with the wind shifting to the
north and the barometer rising quite rapidly... the temperature
fell sharply. By 6:30 PM... the wind velocity increased
rapidly and by 7:00 PM had reached a maximum sustained
velocity of 36 mph... bringing with it clouds of dust which
had been picked up by gale force winds in southern Wyoming
and northern Colorado... covering the city. The visibility
was generally reduced to about 1/4 mile; however... the
whirling of the dust down the streets and alleys... the
visibility was at times somewhat less. Airplanes were
grounded... traffic was halted at times... and homes filled
with dust. The strong winds damaged electric power and
telephone lines... leaving homes in darkness for a few hours
in the city and for 18 hours in suburban towns and putting
2500 telephones out of service because of broken lines. An
electric lineman was killed while repairing damage by the
high winds. The dust storm was followed by rain that began
falling at 10:55 PM... which turned to snow during the early
morning hours of the 26th. A major snow storm followed on
the 27th through the 29th."
In 1999... high winds developed in the foothills of Boulder
County. Winds gusted to 90 mph at Wondervu.
25-26 in 1908... apparent Post-frontal rain changed to snow overnight
and totaled 6.5 inches in downtown Denver. This was the
first snow of the season. Precipitation totaled 0.76 inch.
North winds were sustained to 39 mph on the 25th.
25-27 in 1996... an early season snowstorm brought heavy snow
to the Front Range eastern foothills. Snowfall totals
included: 8 to 12 inches around Conifer... 7 inches on
Floyd hill... and 6 inches at both Bailey and chief hosa.
Snowfall totaled only 4.7 inches at the site of the
former Stapleton International Airport. This was the
first measurable snow of the season. After the passage
of a strong cold front... north winds gusted to 38 mph at
Denver International Airport on the 25th.
- Alabama - Record Report
- Arizona - Wind Advisory
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory , Wind Advisory, Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Frost Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Record Report
- Indiana - Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Record Report
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Record Report
- Maine - Frost Advisory
- Massachusetts - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Coastal Flood Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement