Current Watches and Warnings
Alaska, Juneau Borough and Northern Admiralty Island
Areal Flood Warning
Statement as of 5:22 AM AKDT on July 01, 2016
Expires 12:15 PM EDT on July 02, 2016
... A Flood Warning from a Glacier-dammed lake outburst remains in
effect until 815 am akdt Saturday for Mendenhall Lake and river in
the central Inner Channels...
At 522 am akdt... based on reporting gauges a Glacier-dammed lake
outburst along the Mendenhall Lake and river is continuing. The
added water from the Glacier-dammed lake into the river system will
result in continued river rises through Friday evening. The river is
currently rising at around 2 inches per hour. Estimated suicide
Basin Lake level prior to release indicates that Mendenhall Lake and
river could see similar levels to the 2014 record event of 11.85
For the Mendenhall lake:
at 522 am akdt the stage was 8.5 feet.
Flood stage is 9.0 feet.
Forecast: 11.6 feet around 10 PM on July 1. Inherent uncertainty in
initial Glacial Lake volume will result in varying crest height and
timing with a chance of exceeding record levels.
at 9.1 feet: water covers West Glacier spur Road between
skaters cabin and West Glacier trailhead... also water will flow into
the Mendenhall Lake campground.
At 10.0 feet: water levels will inundate Mendenhall campground with
up to 3 feet of water covering low areas along with up to 1.5 feet
of water covering West Glacier spur Road. Portions of West Glacier
trail will be impassable.
At 11.0 feet: view drive will be flooded and impassable with
significant flooding to some homes in the area.
Please stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or your favorite local
weather news source for updates on this situation.
If you live near or along Mendenhall river system stay alert and be
prepared to take action.
The cold water temperatures can increase the threat of hypothermia
and lower the time required to cause hypothermia.
A Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring. All
interested parties should take necessary precautions immediately.
Lat... Lon 5850 13437 5843 13433 5835 13452 5834 13462
5841 13465 5853 13455
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arizona - Areal Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- California - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Oregon - Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Flash Flood Watch
- Washington - Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report