New York Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southern Nassau
High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 3:23 AM EDT on August 28, 2014
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on August 29, 2014
... High surf advisory now in effect until 2 am EDT Friday...
* locations... Atlantic facing beaches from Brooklyn to Montauk.
* Surf... 5 to 8 ft... locally 8 to 10 ft. Highest across central
and eastern Long Island.
* Rip currents... high risk of dangerous rip currents.
* Timing... through this evening.
* Impacts... minor beach erosion and localized wash-overs expected
along the beachfront... particularly this morning into mid
afternoon with high tide.
A high surf advisory means that high surf will affect beaches in
the advisory area... producing dangerous rip currents... beach
erosion and localized washovers.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Talk to lifeguards and beach officials to
learn about any surf hazards and heed their advice. Pay attention
to flags and posted signs and swim in life guarded areas.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current. Even a strong
swimmer can become exhausted quickly.
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Maryland - Beach Hazard Statement
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement
- New York - High Surf Advisory
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Utah - Special Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wyoming - Record Report