Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southeast Suffolk
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:06 AM EDT on August 04, 2015
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 04, 2015
... High rip current risk remains in effect through this evening...
* locations... ocean beaches of New York City and Long Island.
* Rip current risk... high.
* Surf height... building to 4 to 6 ft this afternoon.
* Lightning risk... moderate.
* Timing... through 9 PM.
Talk to lifeguards and beach officials to learn about any surf
hazards and heed their advice. Pay attention to flags and posted
signs and swim in life guarded areas.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers.
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain
calm... do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for
help. If you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to
shore. Once you are away from the force of the rip current...
begin to swim back toward the beach. Do not attempt to swim
directly against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch, Coastal Flood Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Watch , High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Special Statement
- Maryland - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Montana - Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Dense Fog Advisory
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- South Dakota - Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Special Statement
- Utah - Record Report
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report